NE Youth, dedicated to making a positive difference to the lives of young people across the North East, recently hosted the much-anticipated Projects with Pride Awards 2023.
The event, generously sponsored by Perspective (North East) Ltd. and hosted at the Grand Hotel Gosforth Park, marked another milestone in honoring the remarkable achievements of young people, youth workers, volunteers and projects making a significant impact in their communities.
A Night of Talent
This year’s event, held on November 8th 2023, was a huge celebration that drew an impressive crowd of 380 attendees including funders, sponsors and stakeholders. What truly stood out was the substantial representation from young people, with 237 young people attending — being a remarkable 65% of the audience.
The evening unfolded with an array of performances that showcased the diverse talents we have in the North East. These included Horizon Cheerleading, Care to Dance, True Colours Theatre, Alf Hill, Jazzy Dystopia and Lola & Erin.
Acknowledging Excellence: The Winners
The highlight of the evening was, undoubtedly, the recognition of outstanding contributors across various categories. Each winner represented dedication, resilience and a commitment to making a difference:
- Social Action of the Year Award – Durham Area Youth with their Youth #IWill project sponsored by Net Defence.
- Youth Worker of the Year Award – Naoise Clements (N.E.S.T) sponsored by Northumberland Estates.
- Young Achiever of the Year Award – Katie Jones (Sacriston Youth Project) sponsored by Ability Consultants.
- Young Volunteer of the Year Award – Kaylem Rose (The Activity Den) sponsored by County Durham Community Foundation.
- Community Champion of the Year Award – Alyson Hampshire (Nunsmoor Centre Trust) sponsored by Newcastle Building Society.
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Burradon Juniors Maintenance Team and Calum Slinn sponsored by R.W. Mann Trust.
- Trustee of the Year Award – Mick Rodgers (Pelton Community Association) sponsored by Grand Hotel Gosforth Park.
- Most Improved of the Year Award – Skills House (Cheesy Waffles) sponsored by Liontrust.
- Outstanding Contribution to Health and Wellbeing through Sports, Leisure and Culture Award – Slix Teen Bar sponsored by First Mortgage NE.
- Partnership of the Year Award – One Youth Chester-le-Street partnership sponsored by Robinson-Raine Joinery.
- Project with Pride of the Year Award – Northbourne Youth Initiative sponsored by Perspective (North East) Ltd.
Feedback that Speaks Volumes
Attendees and participants praised the event, with many describing it as the “best one yet,” citing the amazing performances and incredibly talented young comperes of the evening from Throckley Youth Project.
Continuing the Tradition
This year’s event not only celebrated achievement but also upheld the tradition of recognising excellence set in previous years. The energy and enthusiasm witnessed affirmed Project’s with Pride’s significance in acknowledging the dedication and commitment of those involved in youth development across the North East.
As Perspective (North East) Ltd. continues to support such endeavors, the Projects with Pride Awards 2023 stand as a testament to the commitment to empower and uplift young people.
The success of Projects with Pride 2023 would not have been possible without the support of sponsors, partners and the dedicated efforts of NE Youth. As the curtains close on this year’s celebration, anticipation builds for next year’s event, promising even more moments of triumph and inspiration.
With each passing year, these awards reaffirm the incredible potential and impact of young people in the North East. NE Youth’s commitment to recognising and nurturing this potential remains, ensuring a brighter future for generations to come. Here’s to another year of celebrating excellence in the North East!